When I redesigned this site earlier this year, I removed the subscribe tab at the top of the page in favor of direct links and a pop-up. The overall redesign is temporary — I’d like to put a bit more work into a sharper look, eventually — but recently I discovered that something had been lost in making this particular change.
On the old list sign-up, which you can still access here, there was an option to add a note, along with your contact info. The prompt was/is to share your favorite moment from the day of the signup.
In the madness of this last year, I had forgotten about that prompt. This week, though, I rediscovered some of your answers. I thought I would anonymously share a few of my favorites.
These are real answers from real readers.
- “The moment I realized there was leftover Pad Thai in the fridge.” Legit.
- “When I learned Michael had an email list.” Teacher’s pet. A+ for you.
- “Drew a cool robot in the margin of my notes during a morning meaning.” Priorities!
- “Waking up in a bathtub of ice missing a kidney.” Would not be my favorite moment.
- “Reading your blog and agreeing with it.” New teacher’s pet. A+ for you, too.
- “Whiskey neat and a beer back.” Tears of pride from nostalgic Young Michael.
- “Talking to you on Twitter.” Daww.
- “Early morning wind.” Early contender for first prize.
- “The Videoblogs.” You sweet.
- “My black dog covered in white snowflakes.” That does sound nice!
- (Several nice notes about my talk with Diane Bell on the podcast). Diane is awesome.
- “Signing up for your email list. It will warm my heart for years to come.” You are warming my pants.
- “Reheating my leftover black beans for breakfast.” I’m hungry.
- “Eating cereal.” Okay, now I have to go eat breakfast.
What’s your favorite moment from the day so far? Or what was your favorite moment from yesterday? Why not sign up and let me know? Once a large enough new crop comes in, maybe I’ll share more notes from the readers/listeners.
Subscribers to my list received The Videoblogs for free. Did you know that?
It’s because they’re special. They eat hot and cold breakfasts and love Pad Thai and drink whiskey and fart and draw robots and get themselves involved in shady dealings that result in midnight kidney theft. They’re also sweet and intelligent and very good looking.
So, basically, you already belong. Have a great day!
My name is Michael. I am a Writer and Filmmaker of hopeful stories for complex people. Lately, I have been sharing some reflections and stories every morning. Once per month, I send a special note to those on my email list. They get exclusive stories and advanced (sometimes free) access to my work. You can join this exclusive group here. Thanks for reading.