This bonus episode of Coffee with Creatives is with Dior Vargas, a mental health activist who I met on Twitter after stumbling upon the Kickstarter campaign for her People of Color and Mental Illness Photo Project.
As supporters of The Videoblogs already know, mental health is an important topic to me and to Rebecca. We reached out to Dior to offer some help with her project, and at the same time I asked her to come on the show.
The result was an inspiring (but realistic) talk on mental health in America, nationally, but also specifically in regards to communities that continue to be underrepresented in the media in regards to this topic.
Other aspects of the discussion include:
- The universality of daily struggle
- How to get help, if you’re suffering
- Finding some measure of peace, by sourcing out how you can contribute to the world in a way that is also fulfilling to you
- The importance of empathy in the fight for progress of all sorts
- How people who aren’t suffering from mental illness can still help contribute to de-stigmatization and/or help their loved ones cope and thrive
Please note that we do also talk about suicide during this episode.
Thanks for listening. If you support Dior’s mission, I would encourage you to join Rebecca and me in supporting her campaign. If and when it’s over, you can also follow her on Twitter, or connect with her on Facebook, to keep up on how you might help in the future.
Like my style? Subscribe to my list for advanced/exclusive (and free!) access to new (creative) content produced by yours truly. I send one email per month..